Young LGBTIQ people in mental health and substance abuse servicesResearchers: Inka Sirén, Mikko Salasuo, Noora Hästbacka
B.Soc.Sc., Social and public policy
I work in a research project Young LGBTIQ people in mental health and substance abuse services (2015-2016), reviewing mental health and substance abuse services from the perspective of young LGBTIQ people.
Alongside the full-time job, I'm finishing my Master's degree at the University of Helsinki. I major in social and public policy, and studied gender studies and social psychology as my minor subjects. In my Master's thesis I study young LGBTIQ people's experiences of heteronormative violence from the perspective of power, norms and agency.
My fields of expertise are especially diversity of gender, sex and sexuality, equality and inequality, attitudes and social taboos, and questions of power, control and normativity.
- 2013-(ongoing) Master of Social Sciences (M.Soc.Sc.), University of Helsinki, The Faculty of Social Sciences, The Department of Social Research, Social and public policy
- 2009-2013 Bachelor of Social Sciences (B.Soc.Sc.), University of Helsinki, The Faculty of Social Sciences, The Department of Social Research, Social and public policy
- Research assistant, From father to son - cross-generational defence will in Finland after second world war (FYRN), 8-10/2016
- Intern (FYRN), 5-6/2016
- Transcription assignment, AMIS - Arjen ammattilaiset (Ehkäisevä päihdetyö EHYT ry), 8/2014-1/2015
- Report assignment, Part-Time Work in the Nordic Region (Nordic Information on Gender (NIKK)), 5/2014
Finnish (native), English (fluent), Swedish (intermediate), Italian (elementary)
Seminars & public appearances
- Sateenkaarinuoret - miten antaa tilaa moninaisuudelle?. Workshop on the Allianssi Cruise, 14.4.2016
- Heteronormatiivinen väkivalta. The Annual Sociology Conference. Jyväskylä, 18.3.2016
- Sateenkaarinuoret päihde- ja mielenterveyspalveluissa. The Annual Sociology Conference. Jyväskylä, 17.3.2016
- Sateenkaarinuorten kokemukset heteronormatiivisesta väkivallasta - valta, normit, toimijuus. The Finnish Conference of Youth Studies. Tampere, 13.11.2015
- Sateenkaarinuorten kokemukset heteronormatiivisesta väkivallasta - valta, normit, toimijuus. The Annual Conference of Social Policy. Helsinki, 22.10.2015
Positions of trust
- Finnish Youth Research Society Board: researcher member 2016-
- University of Helsinki, The Faculty of Social Sciences, Student Organisation for Social Policy, Stigma ry: auditor 2011-2012
- University of Helsinki, The Faculty of Social Sciences: Social policy tutor 2010-2011
- Member of the working group on equality planning 2016-
- The Social Policy Association in Finland: member 2016-
- Finnish Youth Research Society: member 2016-
- HeSeta ry: youth work volunteer 2014
- The Association for Gender Studies in Finland: member 2013-2014
- Helsingin YK-nuoret HYKY ry: member 2009-2010
- R.I.SO. Consorzio Sociale, Torino: care work volunteer 2007-2008
- Sirén, Inka & Nurminen, Minna (2014) A mapping and description of recent actions and regulations pertaining to part-time work in Finland. In Drange, Ida & Egeland, Cathrine (Ed.) Part-Time Work in the Nordic Region II: A research review on important reasons. Nordic Information on Gender (NIKK), TemaNord 2014:560, 105–118.